The practice was started in the early 1900's by Dr. Harvey Clunk who graduated from the McCormick Institute in Chicago, Illinois. The office was initially located in Kutztown and later moved to Walnut Street in Reading, Pennsylvania. Harvey’s son, Dr. Shirles Clunk, joined the practice after World War II and continued until his retirement in 1982. Shirles was a graduate of the Pennsylvania College of Optometry. In 1982 Dr. David Foster purchased and subsequently relocated to Mt. Penn in 1989. Dr. Foster still practices there with his daughter Dr. Julie Foster, who joined the practiced in 2018.
The practice is located in the second oldest building in Mt. Penn. It originally was a farmhouse with many uses over the years. It is well over 200 years old and retains many of its original features.